Galois and Sage projects
SAGE project (2007/2008)
In the SAGE project St. Michael College, six more schools and the Freudenthal Institute Utrecht University, collaborated to achieve:
- Further development of the Scorm Applet Generator [A software program that enables teachers to make their own algebra applets that comply to the SCORM standard, so that student work can be stored and retrieved]
- Construction and dissemination (for non-commercial use) of 20 algebra applets for (Dutch) secondary education.
Download SCORM packages in one zip file (released under Creative Commons license)
The environment is also accessible via http://www.fi.uu.nl/dwo/sag/
If you just want an idea what the DME (Digital Mathematics Environment) is with English content: http://www.fi.uu.nl/dwo/soton/
There is an extension to the moodle SCORM module that allows teachers to watch student work. Version 2.0 was experimental and not hosted.
Galois project (2004-2007)
The Galois Project combines mathematical programs within a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) to faciltate feedback on learning.
- This booklet (summary in English) explains the results. It also contains the three articles that were published in Euclides.
- The results were presented at ICTMT8: paper, presentation, worksheet. For more (also recent) articles see Academia.
- Some demonstrational FLASH MOVIES can be found here (teacher view) and here (student view).
- The project at a glance.
- There was an elaborate KennisWiki at the original site. I have a backup but have not added it to these pages as most of knowledge now is obsolete or updated.
- Some applications can be downloaded for use in your own VLE. The SCORM applets of the project were updated by the applets of the SAGE project, see below.
- An impression of the first version of the DWO authoring tool is here.
- For quickly making exams -at the moment for differentiating- in MathML you can look at Intomath (uses MathPlayer). Unfortunately this does not work anymore in recent browsers.
- This project also experimented with Activemath and STACK. Both can be used for presenting interactive, mathematical questions and books.
A movie in Dutch about the project was made in the programme Open Source and Open Standards in education. Unfortunately the movie is not available any more.
The Galois project won a prize of 25000 euro that was used to start the one-year SAGE project.